Monday, April 9, 2007

Sprain or Ergonomic Problem?

Every now and then, my right wrist suffers from this tingly ache whenever I twist it to the side. No, it's not that I overstrain it or anything, just a simple action of brushing my hair to the left side already triggers the pain.. :( It has been lingering for more than 2 months... urghh... It gets annoying sometimes because I have trouble doing many things, simple things that I need to do daily, like moving the steering wheel when I drive, picking up a bottle of 1 litre water and the list goes on... I am left with no choice but to stop playing badminton or to get involved in any kind of sports that requires strength from the wrist. Crap... what kinda sports am I left to do? Jogging? Swimming? Hiking? That's all? What about the fun sports games? Badminton and tennis no more? :'(

I was trying to recall the cause of this aggravating pain, yes, it's getting worse. I really started to feel the pain about 3 weeks ago. Now why would I say it has been around for 2 months then? About 2 months plus ago, my right wrist was over-twisted by a friend. From that day onwards, I could not play badminton anymore because my wrist ached badly everytime when I did. I thought it recovered a few weeks after that (there was no sign of pain for quite some time) until after a month; when the pain returned after enormous time spent on typing my FYP thesis. Blame it on the mouse, oops... lemme rephrase; blame it on ME, for not positioning my hand at the right level on the mouse. I used to place my right hand a lil too far that I needed to extend my arm too much, and a lil too high I was actually stressing my wrist badly, urgh...

Here are some tips of how you should position your mouse that I find useful:
1. Place your mouse close to your keyboard and within easy reach. You should be able to use your mouse comfortably with your arms close to your side, and your elbows at a slightly "open" angle.
2. Use your elbow-not your wrist-to move the mouse. Keeping your forearms in one place and using your wrists to "flick" the mouse can increase intracarpal pressure-leading to wrist and finger pain.
3. Don't click too hard!
4. Make sure you're holding your mouse correctly. Avoid letting your fingers "hover" above the mouse or trackball buttons. Always use a light grip. Don't hold the mouse when you're not using it, and keep your wrists in a straight or "neutral" position.

Of course, there are more on the keyboard and monitor positioning, and lighting etc as well. I find this site quite useful. Check it out for tips on office ergonomic, and other computer-related health topics.
http://www.healthycomputing.com

Hmm, so is my wrist pain really caused by the over-twist or ergomonic issue? I guess it started from the sprain (or just sTrain rather?), which was almost recovering but was then aggravated by the lousy ergo practice I engaged for 3 days straight. I consulted my doctor about it, and he just told me to apply a heat pack (which I still haven't bought :S) to it frequently. Yah yah... please remind me to buy the heat pack...

No comments:

Google