Monday, March 19, 2007

Human Height

Where does your height stand when compared to the population of the world? It's hard to compare our heights in such a way for height can vary in different ethnic, weather and enviroment. Of couse I was curious of where my height stands among the Asians and so I goggled out this piece of info below. I suppose I belong to 'others' (not the ones from Lost lah!) category since I don't see any Asians other than White, Black, and Hispanic. Cut this short, I am gonna show you the charts now:



I also did a quick study on human heights. I come across some interesting discovery. Diet (in addition to needed nutrients; such things as junk food and attendant health problems such as
obesity), exercise, fitness, pollution exposure, sleep patterns, climate (see Allen's rule and Bergmann's Rule for example), and even happiness (psychological well-being) are other factors that can affect growth and final height. Woow.... sleep patterns... had I been lacking sleep during my teenage life? Urghh... regretting now is too late anyway. So you people who still have younger bro and sis out there please do something about them when you still can.
Some additional info picked from Wikipedia: The short stature of Asians may also be contributed by nutritional factors such as low calcium intake partially due to lactose intolerance in 90% of their adult population, limited consumption of protein, iron, vitamin A, reduced vitamin D, partially from their nutrition; and also from their skin that cannot synthesize as much vitamin D because their skin is darker, and consumption of large quantities of soy products which contains isoflavone, a phytoestrogen.
Further reading can be done at this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_height
There's also a table for you to check out the average height of different ethnic in the world.
Ohh... Sometimes I wish I was taller... -.-

3 comments:

Jazlie said...

not bad, my height is at the 75 percentile:) The big head gene is very funny, haha ...

Anonymous said...

:( Dunno how to read the graph.. haha, dun even know what it does..

Hmmm.. should start feeding the youngs with more milk and calcium... Asians shouldn't be short all the time :|

Hmm.. you dun seem to have a big head.... You probably carrying the recessive gene.... maybe your kids will :D

-sg-

power PufF! said...

For those who are having problems like 'sg', i'll tell u how to read the graph. Let's say if you are a female, 20 years old and you are standing at 160cm, go to 20 at x-axis, and 160 at y-axis. You'll see that the intersection between x=20 and y=160 falls on the red line labelled '50'. That means you're at the 50th percentile, which also means you are right at the average height.

Google